Fantasy Sports Experience

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Brad Lidge Injures Leg

Brad Lidge had to leave the batting practice session he was throwing after he caught his spike in the mound while throwing his first pitch. The extent of the knee injury is  unknown, but it was serious enough for Lidge to limp off the field, after trying to throw one more pitch.

"It was my push off leg," Lidge said. "I caught my spike in the mound. I threw the pitch but it felt like I pulled something in the knee. ... It swelled up a little, but I'm optimistic that I just pulled some scar tissue loose."

Ligde had surgery on the same knee in October to remove torn cartilage, that had plagued him throughout the 2007 season.

Fantasy Impact

Lidge was Phillies' biggest off season acquisition, and was supposed to be the one lock in a mostly uncertain bullpen. If this is anything more than just some pulled scar tissue, it could be disastrous for the Phillies. After Lidge the next candidate to close would be Tom Gordon, and then Ryan Madson, who have each battled injury over the last few seasons.

We will monitor this situation and see what comes of it over the next few days. Try to avoid drafting Lidge until more is known about his injury.

No comments: